Re: Slowness of extended protocol

From: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, stark(at)mit(dot)edu, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, roji(at)roji(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date: 2016-08-03 16:09:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>:

> Doesn't this patch break an existing behavior of unnamed statements?
> That is, an unnamed statement shall exist until next parse message
> using unnamed statement received. It is possible to use the same
> unnamed statement multiple times in a transaction.
>

>Doesn't this patch break an existing behavior of unnamed statements?

As it was expected, the behavior for unnamed statements is broken (some
tests from make check-world fail with segmentation fault).
So some more sophisticated patch is required.

For those who are interested, I've created a Github-Travis mirror that
automatically runs several regression suites for the given postgresql
patch: https://github.com/vlsi/postgres
I think it will simplify running regression tests for postgresql patches
against multiple suites.

Current tests include: make check, make check-world, and pgjdbc test suite
(except XA and SSL).

For instance, here's the link to my patch
https://github.com/vlsi/postgres/pull/1
Feel free to file PRs for travis branch of https://github.com/vlsi/postgres so
the patch gets tested.

Vladimir