Re: Preventing non-superusers from altering session authorization

From: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Preventing non-superusers from altering session authorization
Date: 2023-07-01 15:33:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> That might be a good change? If the original authenticated role ID no
>> longer exists then we may want to return an error when trying to set
>> your session authorization to that role.
>
> I was curious why we don't block DROP ROLE if there are active sessions
for
> the role or terminate any such sessions as part of the command, and I
found
> this discussion from 2016:
>
> https://postgr.es/m/flat/56E87CD8.60007%40ohmu.fi

Ah, that makes sense that we don't prevent DROP ROLE on active roles.
Though, we do error when you try and set your role or session
authorization to a dropped role. So erroring on RESET SESSION
AUTHORIZATION when the original role is dropped makes it consistent
with SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION TO <dropped-original-role>. On the other
hand it makes it inconsistent with RESET ROLE, which does not error on
a dropped role.

- Joe Koshakow