Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types
Date: 2022-08-29 05:26:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 at 10:39, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> One more try to make CFbot happy.

After a bit more revision, mostly updating outdated comments and
naming adjustments, I've pushed this.

Per the benchmark results I showed in [1], due to the performance of
having the AllocSet free list pointers stored at the end of the
allocated chunk being quite a bit slower than having them at the start
of the chunk, I adjusted the patch to have them at the start.

Time for me to go and watch the buildfarm results come in.

David

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvpuhcPWCzkXZuQQgB8YjPNQSvnncbzZ6pwpHFr2QMMD2w@mail.gmail.com