Re: ALTER TABLE validate foreign key dependency problem

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE validate foreign key dependency problem
Date: 2020-07-12 04:50:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 15:54, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think the fix is just to delay the foreign key validation when
> there's a rewrite pending until the rewrite is complete.

I looked over this again and only slightly reworded a comment. The
problem exists as far back as 9.5 so I've attached 3 patches that,
pending any objections, I plan to push about 24 hours from now.

> I also considered that we could just delay all foreign key validations
> until phase 3, but I ended up just doing then only when a rewrite is
> pending.

I still wonder if it's best to delay the validation of the foreign key
regardless of if there's a pending table rewrite, but the patch as it
is now only delays if there's a pending rewrite.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
delay_altertable_foreignkey_validation_during_table_rewrite10_v2.patch application/octet-stream 6.4 KB
delay_altertable_foreignkey_validation_during_table_rewrite95_v2.patch application/octet-stream 6.4 KB
delay_altertable_foreignkey_validation_during_table_rewrite12_v2.patch application/octet-stream 6.3 KB