Re: Todo: Teach planner to evaluate multiple windows in the optimal order

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ankit Kumar Pandey <itsankitkp(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pghackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Todo: Teach planner to evaluate multiple windows in the optimal order
Date: 2023-01-07 02:29:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 at 04:11, Ankit Kumar Pandey <itsankitkp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Attaching test cases for this (+ small change in doc).
>
> Tested this in one of WIP branch where I had modified
> select_active_windows and it failed
>
> as expected.
>
> Please let me know if something can be improved in this.

Thanks for writing that.

I had a look over the patch and ended up making some adjustments to
the tests. Looking back at 728202b63, I think any tests we add here
should be kept alongside the tests added by that commit rather than
tacked on to the end of the test file. It also makes sense to me just
to use the same table as the original tests. I also thought the
comment in select_active_windows should be in the sort comparator
function instead. I think that's a more likely place to capture the
attention of anyone making modifications.

I've now pushed the adjusted patch.

David