Re: Stability of queryid in minor versions

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stability of queryid in minor versions
Date: 2024-04-15 01:27:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 at 12:04, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> Since 16 these new fields would be added by default unless the node
> attribute query_jumble_ignore is appended to it. I agree that this
> may not be entirely intuitive when it comes to force compatibility
> across the same major version. Could there be cases where it is worth
> breaking compatibility and include something more in the jumbling,
> though? I've not seen the case in recent years even in stable
> branches.

I think that's a valid possible situation which could result in a
change. however, I think it's much less likely than it used to be
because we'd have to accidentally have used query_jumble_ignore,
whereas before all the struct parsing stuff went in, we could have
just forgotten to jumble the field when adding a new field to a parse
struct.

David