Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date: 2022-05-11 03:54:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 15:41, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 08:31:17PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > | Improve the performance of window functions that use row_number(), rank(), and count() (David Rowley)
> >
> > The essential feature is a new kind of "prosupport", which is implemented for
> > those core functions. I suggest to add another sentence about how prosupport
> > can also be added to user-defined/non-core functions.
>
> Uh, I don't see how "prosupport" would be relevant for users to know
> about.

I'd say if it's not mentioned in our documentation then we shouldn't
put it in the release notes. Currently, it's only documented in the
source code. If someone felt strongly that something should be written
in the documents about this then I'd say only then should we consider
mentioning it in the release notes.

David