Re: Index Skip Scan

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Floris Van Nee <florisvannee(at)optiver(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, "bhushan(dot)uparkar(at)gmail(dot)com" <bhushan(dot)uparkar(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Index Skip Scan
Date: 2020-04-14 09:19:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 07:40, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Other than that to summarize current open points for future readers
> (this thread somehow became quite big):
>
> * Making UniqueKeys usage more generic to allow using skip scan for more
> use cases (hopefully it was covered by the v33, but I still need a
> confirmation from David, like blinking twice or something).

I've not yet looked at the latest patch, but I did put some thoughts
into an email on the other thread that's been discussing UniqueKeys
[1].

I'm keen to hear thoughts on the plan I mentioned over there. Likely
it would be best to discuss the specifics of what additional features
we need to add to UniqueKeys for skip scans over here, but discuss any
chances which affect both patches over there. We certainly can't have
two separate implementations of UniqueKeys, so I believe the skip
scans UniqueKeys patch should most likely be based on the one in [1]
or some descendant of it.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvpx1qED1uLqubcKJ=oHatCMd7pTUKkdq0B72_08nbR3Hw@mail.gmail.com