Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Darafei Komяpa Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Date: 2020-03-19 08:39:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 18:45, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-03-17 at 18:02 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I don't think a default scale factor of 0 is going to be ok. For
> > large-ish tables this will basically cause permanent vacuums. And it'll
> > sometimes trigger for tables that actually coped well so far. 10 million
> > rows could be a few seconds, not more.
> >
> > I don't think that the argument that otherwise a table might not get
> > vacuumed before autovacuum_freeze_max_age is convincing enough.
> >
> > a) if that's indeed the argument, we should increase the default
> > autovacuum_freeze_max_age - now that there's insert triggered vacuums,
> > the main argument against that from before isn't valid anymore.
> >
> > b) there's not really a good arguments for vacuuming more often than
> > autovacuum_freeze_max_age for such tables. It'll not be not frequent
> > enough to allow IOS for new data, and you're not preventing
> > anti-wraparound vacuums from happening.
>
> According to my reckoning, that is the remaining objection to the patch
> as it is (with ordinary freezing behavior).
>
> How about a scale_factor od 0.005? That will be high enough for large
> tables, which seem to be the main concern here.

I agree with that, however, I'd thought 0.01, just so we're still
close to having about 100 times less work to do for huge insert-only
tables when it comes to having to perform an anti-wraparound vacuum.

> I fully agree with your point a) - should that be part of the patch?

I think it will be a good idea to increase this, but I really don't
think this patch should be touching it. It's something to put on the
issues list for after the CF so more people have the bandwidth to chip
in their thoughts.

> I am not sure about b). In my mind, the objective is not to prevent
> anti-wraparound vacuums, but to see that they have less work to do,
> because previous autovacuum runs already have frozen anything older than
> vacuum_freeze_min_age. So, assuming linear growth, the number of tuples
> to freeze during any run would be at most one fourth of today's number
> when we hit autovacuum_freeze_max_age.

I hear what Andres is saying about proactive freezing for already
dirty pages. I think that's worth looking into, but don't feel like
we need to do it for this patch. The patch is worthy without it and
such a change affects more than insert-vacuums, so should be a
separate commit.

If people really do have an insert-only table then we can recommend
that they set the table's autovacuum_freeze_min_age to 0.

> I am still sorry to see more proactive freezing go, which would
> reduce the impact for truly insert-only tables.
> After sleeping on it, here is one last idea.
>
> Granted, freezing with vacuum_freeze_min_age = 0 poses a problem
> for those parts of the table that will receive updates or deletes.
> But what if insert-triggered vacuum operates with - say -
> one tenth of vacuum_freeze_min_age (unless explicitly overridden
> for the table)? That might still be high enough not to needlessly
> freeze too many tuples that will still be modified, but it will
> reduce the impact on insert-only tables.

I think that might be a bit too magical and may not be what some
people want. I know that most people won't set
autovacuum_freeze_min_age to 0 for insert-only tables, but we can at
least throw something in the documents to mention it's a good idea,
however, looking over the docs I'm not too sure the best place to note
that down.

I've attached a small fix which I'd like to apply to your v8 patch.
With that, and pending one final look, I'd like to push this during my
Monday (New Zealand time). So if anyone strongly objects to that,
please state their case before then.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8_fixes.diff.txt text/plain 4.4 KB