Re: Allow WindowFuncs prosupport function to use more optimal WindowClause options

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow WindowFuncs prosupport function to use more optimal WindowClause options
Date: 2022-10-18 00:05:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for having a look at this.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 at 10:52, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:
> + req->frameOptions = (FRAMEOPTION_ROWS |
> + FRAMEOPTION_START_UNBOUNDED_PRECEDING |
> + FRAMEOPTION_END_CURRENT_ROW);
>
> The bit combination appears multiple times in the patch.
> Maybe define the combination as a constant in supportnodes.h and reference it in the code.

I don't believe supportnodes.h has any business having any code that's
related to actual implementations of the support request type. If we
were to have such a definition then I think it would belong in
windowfuncs.c. I'd rather see each implementation of the support
request spell out exactly what they mean, which is what the patch does
already.

David