Re: What to call an executor node which lazily caches tuples in a hash table?

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: What to call an executor node which lazily caches tuples in a hash table?
Date: 2021-03-31 03:01:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 14:43, Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> When naming it, we may also think about some non native English speakers, so
> some too advanced words may make them uncomfortable. Actually when I read
> "Reactive", I googled to find what its meaning is. I knew reactive programming, but I
> do not truly understand "reactive hash".

The origin of that idea came from "reactive" being the opposite of
"proactive". If that's not clear then it's likely a bad choice for a
name.

I had thought proactive would mean "do things beforehand" i.e not on
demand. Basically, just fill the hash table with records that we need
to put in it rather than all records that we might need, the latter
being what Hash Join does, and the former is what the new node does.

David