Re: Fix incorrect start up costs for WindowAgg paths (bug #17862)

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix incorrect start up costs for WindowAgg paths (bug #17862)
Date: 2023-05-31 00:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 21:03, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if we should consider backpatching a fix for this bug.
> We tend not to commit stuff that would destabilise plans in the back
> branches. On the other hand, it's fairly hard to imagine how we
> could make this much worse even given bad estimates.
>
> I do think we should fix this in v16, however.
>
> I'll add this to the "Older bugs affecting stable branches" section of
> the PG 16 open items list

When I wrote the above, it was very soon after the feature freeze for
PG16. I wondered, since we tend not to do cost changes as part of bug
fixes due to not wanting to destabilise plans between minor versions
if we could instead just fix it in PG16 given the freeze had *just*
started. That's no longer the case, so I'm just going to move this
out from where I added it in the PG16 Open items "Live issues" section
and just add a July CF entry for it instead.

David