Re: Reducing System Allocator Thrashing of ExecutorState to Alleviate FDW-related Performance Degradations

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing System Allocator Thrashing of ExecutorState to Alleviate FDW-related Performance Degradations
Date: 2023-02-20 19:33:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 at 07:30, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> 2) We should introduce an API mcxt.c API to perform allocations that the
> caller promises not to individually free.

It's not just pfree. Offhand, there's also repalloc,
GetMemoryChunkSpace and GetMemoryChunkContext too.

I am interested in a bump allocator for tuplesort.c. There it would be
used in isolation and all the code which would touch pointers
allocated by the bump allocator would be self-contained to the
tuplesorting code.

What use case do you have in mind?

David