Re: PostgreSQL Limits: maximum number of columns in SELECT result

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Limits: maximum number of columns in SELECT result
Date: 2022-06-01 00:32:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 07:08, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2022 at 14:51, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
>> > I think it's reasonable to have two adjacent rows in the table for these
>> > two closely related things, but rather than "columns per tuple" I would
>> > label the second one "columns in a result set". This is easy enough to
>> > understand and to differentiate from the other limit.
>>
>> OK, with that wording it's probably clear enough.

> Reworded patch attached

I see the patch does not have the same text as what was proposed and
seconded above. My personal preferences would be "result set
columns", but "columns in a result set" seems fine too.

I've adjusted the patch to use the wording proposed by Alvaro. See attached.

I will push this shortly.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
document_result_set_columns_limit.patch text/plain 403 bytes