Re: Correct the documentation for work_mem

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Correct the documentation for work_mem
Date: 2023-09-11 10:02:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 9 Sept 2023 at 14:25, Imseih (AWS), Sami <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:

> > This looks mostly fine to me modulo "sort or hash". I do see many
> > instances of "and/or" in the docs. Maybe that would work better.
>
> "sort or hash operations at the same time" is clear explanation IMO.

Just for anyone else following along that haven't seen the patch. The
full text in question is:

+ Note that a complex query might perform several sort or hash
+ operations at the same time, with each operation generally being

It's certainly not a show-stopper. I do believe the patch makes some
improvements. The reason I'd prefer to see either "and" or "and/or"
in place of "or" is because the text is trying to imply that many of
these operations can run at the same time. I'm struggling to
understand why, given that there could be many sorts and many hashes
going on at once that we'd claim it could only be one *or* the other.
If we have 12 sorts and 4 hashes then that's not "several sort or hash
operations", it's "several sort and hash operations". Of course, it
could just be sorts or just hashes, so "and/or" works fine for that.

David