Re: Patch: Range Merge Join

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas <thomasmannhart97(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, boehlen(at)ifi(dot)uzh(dot)ch, dignoes(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it, gamper(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it, P(dot)Moser(at)noi(dot)bz(dot)it
Subject: Re: Patch: Range Merge Join
Date: 2021-06-10 03:09:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 03:05, Thomas <thomasmannhart97(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> We have implemented the Range Merge Join algorithm by extending the
> existing Merge Join to also support range conditions, i.e., BETWEEN-AND
> or @> (containment for range types).

It shouldn't be a blocker for you, but just so you're aware, there was
a previous proposal for this in [1] and a patch in [2]. I've include
Jeff here just so he's aware of this. Jeff may wish to state his
intentions with his own patch. It's been a few years now.

I only just glanced over the patch. I'd suggest getting rid of the /*
Thomas */ comments. We use git, so if you need an audit trail about
changes then you'll find it in git blame. If you have those for an
internal audit trail then you should consider using git. No committer
would commit those to PostgreSQL, so they might as well disappear.

For further review, please add the patch to the July commitfest [3].
We should be branching for pg15 sometime before the start of July.
There will be more focus on new patches around that time. Further
details in [4].

Also, I see this if your first post to this list, so welcome, and
thank you for the contribution. Also, just to set expectations;
patches like this almost always take a while to get into shape for
PostgreSQL. Please expect a lot of requests to change things. That's
fairly standard procedure. The process often drags on for months and
in some less common cases, years.

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6227.1334559170%40sss.pgh.pa.us#82c771950ba486dec911923a5e910000
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAMp0ubfwAFFW3O_NgKqpRPmm56M4weTEXjprb2gP_NrDaEC4Eg%40mail.gmail.com