Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"
Date: 2021-06-10 14:04:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 20:58, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> > On 10 Jun 2021, at 10:54, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
> > .. I would perhaps suggest extending to any user-visible messages in the code.
>
> I agree, consistent language between docs and user-facing messages is
> important.

Yeah, agreed.

I came up with the attached patch.

The only additional abbreviation that I found to be incorrect that I'd
previously not mentioned was "SRF". I changed that to use "an".

I only found 4 error messages that needed to be updated. There's some
incorrect stuff remaining in a few README files which I couldn't
decide if I should update or not.

Most of the offenders away from the docs are the translator hint
comments and within the .po files themselves.

$ git grep -E "translator:.*(a|A)\sSQL" | wc -l
690

Only 816 instances of "a SQL" remain, so only 126 are not related to
translator hints or .po files.

Does anyone have any thoughts if the READMEs should be fixed up?

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
use_correct_article_with_vowel_sounding_abbreviations.patch application/octet-stream 40.3 KB