Re: meson uses stale pg_config_paths.h left over from make

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson uses stale pg_config_paths.h left over from make
Date: 2023-08-25 03:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 at 18:25, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> On 2023-08-24 08:18:14 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Surely meson should not be required to detect that?
>
> I think we should try to detect included files, due to the nasty and hard to
> debug issues that creates. I've spent quite a bit of time helping people to
> debug such issues.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's a fairly trivial thing to do to help avoid
developers spending hours scratching their heads over some
hard-to-debug meson issue.

I think lowering the difficulty bar for people transitioning to meson
is a good thing. The easier we can make that process, the faster
people will adopt meson and the faster we can get rid of support for
the other build systems. That's likely not too far off into the
distant future for MSVC, so I don't think we should go rejecting
patches from people using that build system where the patch aims to
help that transition go faster and more smoothly.

David