Open Item: Should non-text EXPLAIN always show properties?

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Subject: Open Item: Should non-text EXPLAIN always show properties?
Date: 2020-06-25 09:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Over on [1] Justin mentions that the non-text EXPLAIN ANALYZE should
always show the "Disk Usage" and "HashAgg Batches" properties. I
agree with this. show_wal_usage() is a good example of how we normally
do things. We try to keep the text format as humanly readable as
possible but don't really expect humans to be commonly reading the
other supported formats, so we care less about including additional
details there.

There's also an open item regarding this for Incremental Sort, so I've
CC'd James and Tomas here. This seems like a good place to discuss
both.

I've attached a small patch that changes the Hash Aggregate behaviour
to always show these properties for non-text formats.

Does anyone object to this?

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200619040624.GA17995%40telsasoft.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
more_hash_agg_explain_fixes.patch application/octet-stream 1.4 KB