Re: Hybrid Hash/Nested Loop joins and caching results from subplans

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Hybrid Hash/Nested Loop joins and caching results from subplans
Date: 2021-04-02 01:15:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 23:41, houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> > I've attached the updated patch. I'll let the CFbot grab this to ensure it's
> > happy with it before I go looking to push it again.
>
> Hi,
>
> I took a look into the patch and noticed some minor things.
>
> 1.
> + case T_ResultCache:
> + ptype = "ResultCache";
> + subpath = ((ResultCachePath *) path)->subpath;
> + break;
> case T_UniquePath:
> ptype = "Unique";
> subpath = ((UniquePath *) path)->subpath;
> should we use "case T_ResultCachePath" here?
>
> 2.
> Is it better to add ResultCache's info to " src/backend/optimizer/README " ?
> Something like:
> NestPath - nested-loop joins
> MergePath - merge joins
> HashPath - hash joins
> + ResultCachePath - Result cache

Thanks for pointing those two things out.

I've pushed the patch again with some updates to EXPLAIN to fix the
issue from yesterday. I also disabled result cache in the
partition_prune tests as I suspect that the parallel tests there might
just be a bit too unstable in the buildfarm. The cache
hit/miss/eviction line might disappear if the main process does not
get a chance to do any work.

Well, it's now time to watch the buildfarm again...

David