Re: Fix BUG #17335: Duplicate result rows in Gather node

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix BUG #17335: Duplicate result rows in Gather node
Date: 2022-02-08 21:10:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for having a look at this.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 13:48, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think the actual rule is: every path under a Gather or GatherMerge
> must be parallel-safe.

I've adjusted the patch so that it counts parallel_aware and
parallel_safe Paths independently and verifies everything below a
Gather[Merge] is parallel_safe.

The diff stat currently looks like:

src/backend/optimizer/plan/createplan.c | 230
1 file changed, 230 insertions(+)

I still feel this is quite a bit of code for what we're getting here.
I'd be more for it if the path traversal function existed for some
other reason and I was just adding the callback functions and Asserts.

I'm keen to hear what others think about that.

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
do_some_plan_validation_during_create_plan_v2.patch text/plain 7.6 KB