Re: add operator ^= to mean not equal (like != and <>)

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, 孙诗浩(思才) <sunshihao(dot)ssh(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add operator ^= to mean not equal (like != and <>)
Date: 2021-08-10 10:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 21:13, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> > On 10 Aug 2021, at 11:10, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> wrote:
>
> > What is he reason you want to add ^= is there any other databases which uses ^= for inequality?
>
> I assume it's because of Oracle compatibility which AFAIK is the only database
> supporting ^=.

Seems likely.

I'm strongly against inheriting warts from Oracle for apparently good
reason. At the very least, anyone who's using ^= for some other
purpose is very likely to be upset with us. Anyone else who really
needs this for compatibility reasons can just create a set of
operators for themselves.

David