Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode
Date: 2023-04-06 01:14:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 at 12:42, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached is a v12 of the whole vacuum_buffer_usage_limit patch set which
> includes a commit to fix the bug in master and a commit to move relevant
> code from vacuum() up into ExecVacuum().

I'm still playing catch up to the moving of the pre-checks from
vacuum() to ExecVacuum(). I'm now wondering...

Is it intended that VACUUM t1,t2; now share the same strategy?
Currently, in master, we'll allocate a new strategy for t2 after
vacuuming t1. Does this not mean we'll now leave fewer t1 pages in
shared_buffers because the reuse of the strategy will force them out
with t2 pages? I understand there's nothing particularly invalid
about that, but it is a change in behaviour that the patch seems to be
making with very little consideration as to if it's better or worse.

David