Large historical tables and autovacuum

From: David Morton <davidmorton78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large historical tables and autovacuum
Date: 2012-09-10 20:30:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have many large tables which contain static historical data, they are
auto vacuumed on a regular basis (sometimes to prevent wraparound) which i
suspect causes a few annoying side effects:
- Additional WAL file generation
- Increased 'changed' data as far as our online rsync based backups are
concerned

Is there any way to tell Postgres that these tables are now not available
for changes so we can avoid these seemingly pointless maintenance tasks ?

Dave