Re: BUG #6660: losing schema name in pg_dump

From: Chaitany Kulkarni <shreeseva(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6660: losing schema name in pg_dump
Date: 2012-05-23 17:42:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sorry for the late reply. But after comparing output results of pg_dump and
other tools in SQL format, I think it will helpful if an another switch is
provided in pg_dump to output data and definition of objects of only given
type.

e.g.
pg_dump --type views

It will export only views in given format for given other options such as
database, schema etc. Currently pg_dump supports to export the objects as
per the list but it is very difficult to list few hundred items there. So
it will be helpful when definitions and data of only certain types from a
schema are needed.

For SCM, I am looking for various options but SCM do not provide tools to
compare objects from two or more databases and database developers need
more options to manage database objects. Many times clients can change the
object definitions as per there needs and it becomes very hard to maintain
a version for each customer for a product. So looking to use Extension
mechanism or some thing else.

Thanks and regards,

C P Kulkarni