Missing Postgis.control

From: Ryan Taylor <rgtaylor1989(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Missing Postgis.control
Date: 2017-06-15 03:25:59
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

OS: Ubuntu xenial
Postgres Version: 9.6
Postgis Version: 2.3

Using these instructions (
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostGIS23UbuntuPGSQL96Apt), I
tried to install Postgis on the postgres database. When I get down to
"Create Extension Postgis", postgres is telling me that it cannot find the
"postgis.control" file. I searched the directory and it wasn't located
anywhere on the server. I even looked for "postgis.sql" and
"spatial_ref_sys.sql" on the server and couldn't find those.

Is there a problem with the package "postgresql-9.6-postgis-2.3" because it
seems to be missing the "postgis.control" and other postgis files?

Thank you for your time,

Ryan Taylor