Default custom format for specific columns?

From: Dave Caughey <caugheyd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Default custom format for specific columns?
Date: 2021-01-31 15:45:54
Lists: pgadmin-support

In my databases, timestamps are stored as longs (epoch millis).

Consequently, when I do a query or view table, I always end up with values
like 1612106244000, rather than a more readable format of "2021-01-31
15:17:24".

Yes, I realize I can do "to_timestamp(cast(mytimestamp/1000 as
bigint))::timestamp" in a SELECT to convert "mytimestamp" to a
human-readable form, but it means I have to hand-compose all my queries
rather than being able to use all the convenient "View/Edit Data..."
functions.

I'm wondering if there is a way to assign a conversion/formatting function
(like the above) to specific table columns, e.g., by expanding the table's
columns and editing the properties, so that whenever you do a view/edit
data, it actually implements a "to_timestamp(cast(mytimestamp/1000 as
bigint))::timestamp" for the "mytimestamp" column?

If not, I'm happy to create a RM enhancement request.

Cheers,
Dave