Re: remove spurious CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY wait

From: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remove spurious CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY wait
Date: 2020-08-11 18:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:14 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Why is a CIC in active index-building something we need to wait for?
> > Wouldn't it fall under a similar kind of logic to the other snapshot
> > types we can explicitly ignore? CIC can't be run in a manual
> > transaction, so the snapshot it holds won't be used to perform
> > arbitrary operations (i.e., the reason why a manual ANALYZE can't be
> > ignored).
>
> Expression indexes that call user-defined functions seem like a
> pretty serious risk factor for that argument. Those are exactly
> the same expressions that ANALYZE will evaluate, as a result of
> which we judge it unsafe to ignore. Why would CIC be different?

The comments for WaitForOlderSnapshots() don't discuss that problem at
all; as far as ANALYZE goes they only say:

* Manual ANALYZEs, however, can't be excluded because they
* might be within transactions that are going to do arbitrary operations
* later.

But nonetheless over in the thread Álvaro linked to we'd discussed
these issues already. Andres in [1] and [2] believed that:

> For the snapshot waits we can add a procarray flag
> (alongside PROCARRAY_VACUUM_FLAG) indicating that the backend is
> doing. Which WaitForOlderSnapshots() can then use to ignore those CICs,
> which is safe, because those transactions definitely don't insert into
> relations targeted by CIC. The change to WaitForOlderSnapshots() would
> just be to pass the new flag to GetCurrentVirtualXIDs, I think.

and

> What I was thinking of was a new flag, with a distinct value from
> PROC_IN_VACUUM. It'd currently just be specified in the
> GetCurrentVirtualXIDs() calls in WaitForOlderSnapshots(). That'd avoid
> needing to wait for other CICs on different relations. Since CIC is not
> permitted on system tables, and CIC doesn't do DML on normal tables, it
> seems fairly obviously correct to exclude other CICs.

In [3] I'd brought up that a function index can do arbitrary
operations (including, terribly, a query of another table), and Andres
(in [4]) noted that:

> Well, even if we consider this an actual problem, we could still use
> PROC_IN_CIC for non-expression non-partial indexes (index operator
> themselves better ensure this isn't a problem, or they're ridiculously
> broken already - they can get called during vacuum).

But went on to describe how this is a problem with all expression
indexes (even if those expressions don't do dangerous things) because
of syscache lookups, but that ideally for expression indexes we'd have
a way to use a different (or more frequently taken) snapshot for the
purpose of computing those expressions. That's a significantly more
involved patch though.

So from what I understand, everything that I'd claimed in my previous
message still holds true for non-expression/non-partial indexes. Is
there something else I'm missing?

James

1: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200325191935.jjhdg2zy5k7ath5v%40alap3.anarazel.de
2: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200325195841.gq4hpl25t6pxv3gl%40alap3.anarazel.de