Re: Binary search in ScalarArrayOpExpr for OR'd constant arrays

From: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary search in ScalarArrayOpExpr for OR'd constant arrays
Date: 2020-04-25 01:22:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 5:55 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 09:38:54AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:55 AM Tomas Vondra
> ><tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> >> Not sure. That seems a bit overcomplicated and I don't think it depends
> >> on the number of rows the planner expects to see very much. I think we
> >> usually assume the linear search is cheaper for small arrays and then at
> >> some point the binary search starts winning The question is where this
> >> "break even" point is.
> >
> >Well since it has to do preprocessing work (expanding the array and
> >then sorting it), then the number of rows processed matters, right?
> >For example, doing a linear search on 1000 items only once is going to
> >be cheaper than preprocessing the array and then doing a binary
> >search, but only a very large row count the binary search +
> >preprocessing might very well win out for only a 10 element array.
> >

> Hmmm, good point. Essentially the initialization (sorting of the array)
> has some cost, and the question is how much extra per-tuple cost this
> adds. It's probably not worth it for a single lookup, but for many
> lookups it's probably OK. Let's see if I can do the math right:
>
> N - number of lookups
> K - number of array elements
>
> Cost to sort the array is
>
> O(K * log(K)) = C1 * K * log(K)
>
> and the cost of a lookup is C2 * log(K), so with the extra cost amortized
> for N lookups, the total "per lookup" cost is
>
> C1 * K * log(K) / N + C2 * log(K) = log(K) * (C1 * K / N + C2)
>
> We need to compare this to the O(K) cost of simple linear search, and
> the question is at which point the linear search gets more expensive:
>
> C3 * K = log(K) * (C1 * K / N + C2)
>
> I think we can assume that C3 is somewhere in between 0.5 and 1, i.e. if
> there's a matching item we find it half-way through on average, and if
> there is not we have to walk the whole array. So let's say it's 1.
>
> C1 and C2 are probably fairly low, I think - C1 is typically ~1.4 for
> random pivot choice IIRC, and C2 is probably similar. With both values
> being ~1.5 we get this:
>
> K = log(K) * (1.5 * K/N + 1.5)
>
> for a fixed K, we get this formula for N:
>
> N = log(K) * 1.5 * K / (K - 1.5 * log(K))
>
> and for a bunch of K values the results look like this:
>
> K | N
> -------|-------
> 1 | 0
> 10 | 5.27
> 100 | 7.42
> 1000 | 10.47
> 10000 | 13.83
> 100000 | 17.27
>
> i.e. the binary search with 10k values starts winning over linear search
> with just ~13 lookups.
>
> (Assuming I haven't made some silly mistake in the math ...)
>
> Obviously, this only accounts for cost of comparisons and neglects e.g.
> the indirect costs for less predictable memory access patterns mentioned
> by Andres in his response.

> [...]

Yeah. I think it becomes a lot more interesting in the future if/when
we end up with a way to use this with params and not just constant
arrays. Then the "group" size would matter a whole lot more.

For now, the constant amount of overhead is quite small, so even if we
only execute it once we won't make the query that much worse (or, at
least, the total query time will still be very small). Also, because
it's only applied to constants, there's a natural limit to how much
overhead we're likely to introduce into a query.

James