Why does create_gather_merge_plan need make_sort?

From: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why does create_gather_merge_plan need make_sort?
Date: 2020-11-20 22:24:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While looking at another issue I noticed that create_gather_merge_plan
calls make_sort if the subplan isn't sufficiently sorted. In all of
the cases I've seen where a gather merge path (not plan) is created
the input path is expected to be properly sorted, so I was wondering
if anyone happened to know what case is being handled by the make_sort
call. Removing it doesn't seem to break any tests.

Thanks,
James