Re: Runtime SHAREDIR for testing CREATE EXTENSION

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Sandro Santilli <strk(at)keybit(dot)net>, Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runtime SHAREDIR for testing CREATE EXTENSION
Date: 2012-02-24 23:31:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On fre, 2012-02-24 at 17:26 +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>> We don't initdb with PostGIS regression testing framework
>> but I've considered doing it for this specific case and it stroke me
>> that even then we couldn't control SHAREDIR.
>
> I would always create a new instance using initdb for test runs.  It's
> easy and avoids all these problems.

Having been in this position once before in a different but similar
situation, there's one big caveat: initdb is *really* slow, so it is
really painful for people who write Postgres-linked code that is
compiled separately, whereby the initdb binary is stable. The
frustration is not unlike when I have to run ./configure, except I had
to do it all the time, every time.

A ccache-like solution has worked well for at least one person I know,
and wasn't hard to implement(?) for personal use.

But by hook or crook, a fresh database is the "right" thing for sure.

--
fdr