Re: Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki

From: Jan Michálek <godzilalalala(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki
Date: 2017-04-18 17:28:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hello Jan,
>
> It seems that the patch does not apply anymore on head due to changes in
>>> psql non regression tests. Could you rebase?
>>>

>> This should work on current master (all test passed).
>>

> Patch applies, compiles and make check is ok.
>
> There are different flavour of markdown, maybe you should document which
> one is targetted. Should it be CommonMark? Another variant? Why?

This should be pandoc pipe table. It's because it is similar to aligned
format. I need add this to documentation (i have it in recent TODO)

> ISTM that the md format lacks escaping for special md characters:
>
> fabien=# SELECT E'\\n\n</br>' AS foo;
> │ foo │
> |--------------|
> │ \n</br></br>
>
> I'd say that you need to do escaping more or less similar to html?

There is problem with markown and newlines. Replacing newline by br was
only solution that I was able to find.

> Also, it seems that you use distinct vertical bar characters in the
> format? Or is this a trick of my terminal?? It seems that your patch
> introduces U+2502 (BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL) instead of the usual pipe
> in some places. Maybe you copy-pasted things from the unicode linestyle.

Main of the functionality is used from aligned format. I tested returned
tables in retext and it works. If i have another character than standart
pipe, it shouldn`t work.

> Why are *_newline variants added for length and formatting? Would it be
> possible to do without, say by relying on the line count computed by the
> standard function for instance?

It`s because newlines in markdown, If I need to do it without copy this
function, i had to add parameter for markdown to this functions.

> The help line is too long, I would suggest not to add the new formats, the
> list is already truncated with "..." for other formats.

OK

> In the sgml documentation, you introduce tab characters, where only spaces
> should be used.

OK, I modified vimrc as it is in documentation, maybe i do something wrong.
I will correct this.

> pg_markdown obsahuje falešný prostor mezi čárkou a nový řádek.

I will look on this.

--
Jelen
Starší čeledín datovýho chlíva