How to apply a regular expression to a select statement

From: JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to apply a regular expression to a select statement
Date: 2012-07-10 17:37:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

Please consider the following situation.

SELECT tar_clave, tar_nombre, tar_dir, tar_vdir FROM cat_tipos_artista

The field "tar_dir" was URL encoded before inserting the record into the
database. What I need is to URL decode it right within the SELECT statement
and I think that, maybe, this can be achieved by applying a regular
expression in such a statement. I will very much appreciate if someone
tells me if this is possible and how.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado