Pausing log shipping for streaming replication

From: Joseph Kregloh <jkregloh(at)sproutloud(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pausing log shipping for streaming replication
Date: 2014-12-15 17:12:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a master multi slave streaming replication setup. One master and two
slaves. I need to do some maintenance on one of the slaves as one of the
drives died however there is some other weird things going on in that array
that I would need to investigate. So I am expecting the machine to be down
at least two hours.

I remember reading that if a master cannot connect to the slave it would
hold the log file from shipping. Is there any other way to hold the file
until the slave comes back online? Would it affect both slaves not getting
their files shipped over?

The good thing is that the slave in question is not serving any connections.

From what I remember emptying out the archive_command would pause log
shipping. Can the same be done by issuing a pg_stop_backup()?

Thanks,
-Joseph Kregloh