Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Provide much better wait information in pg_stat_activity.

From: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)trustly(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Provide much better wait information in pg_stat_activity.
Date: 2016-03-11 21:48:36
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 4:41 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I afraid so you try to look on your use case as global/generic issue. The
> PL/SQL, ADA. PL/pgSQL are verbose languages, and too shortcuts does the
> languages dirty. In this point we have different opinion.
>
> I proposed some enhanced PLpgSQL API with a possibility to create a
> extension that can enforce your requested behave. The implementation can not
> be hard, and it can coverage some special/individual requests well.

I'm not at all interested to discuss any of the proposed changes that
have already been proposed,
because we have already had lengthy discussions on them, and I doubt
neither you nor me have nothing to add.

What we need is more input on proposed changes from other companies
who are also heavy users of PL/pgSQL.

Only then can we move forward. It's like Robert is saying, there is a
risk for bikeshedding here,
we must widen our perspectives and get better understanding for how
other heavy users are using PL/pgSQL.

Pavel, do you know of any such companies?