Preserving the source code of views

From: Brian Crowell <brian(at)fluggo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Preserving the source code of views
Date: 2013-10-20 03:38:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello! I'm evaluating PostgreSQL as a replacement for SQL Server in our
in-house systems. I've been really impressed with it so far, and I'm eager
to try it with our data sets.

I've run across one thing that would make a transfer difficult. Postgres
doesn't preserve the source code for views, as far as I can tell. It parses
them and then prints them its own way. We have a lot of complicated views,
where both the formatting and the comments are significant. In fact, we
produce some of our system documentation directly from the comments.

Is there currently a way to preserve the original source code of a view as
entered in the CREATE VIEW statement?

--Brian