Re: Server/Data Migration Advice

From: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server/Data Migration Advice
Date: 2011-12-15 16:14:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> wrote:
> The point here is that with the plain-text dump (the default output from
> pg_dump), you can feed that directly to psql; but you have no control
> over what is restored, or in what order, without editing the dump file
> directly.
>
> If, however, you using one of the other output options, you need to use
> pg_restore; but you can do all sorts of things with the restore.

I think I now understand and sorry. I have not been using PostgreSQL
long at all and it's my first ever venture into any RDBMS and even
ANSI SQL.

So basically:

pg_dump = plain text dumps which can be read by 'psql' & 'pg_restore'.

pg_dump -Fc = custom / compressed dumps that must be used by
pg_restore only with options to pick / choose what I want from the
dump.

I hope I got that right. I think I've learned a lot from you guys
pointing me in the right direction and RTFM.