Server/Data Migration Advice

From: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Server/Data Migration Advice
Date: 2011-12-12 17:12:10
Lists: pgsql-general

I've finally received my new virtual database server (Debian Linux) &
this weekend I'll be rolling my new PostgreSQL server online. My
question is I've never migrated production data from 8.4.8 to 9.1.1. I
would like to find out from the community what exactly is the
recommended process in moving my database server from 8.4.8 to 9.1.1.
I'm not simply upgrading the existing server as I will be installing
PostgreSQL 9.1 on the new hardware and not sure if it's as simple as
simply performing a pg_dumpall:

pg_dumpall > mydata.sql

I don't know if I need to use some kind of conversion tool to convert
the data from 8.4.8 so that it's compatible with 9.1.1 so if you guys
could please shine in on any recommendations, I would greatly
appreciate it!