Dated Version of PostgreSQL

From: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dated Version of PostgreSQL
Date: 2011-12-30 16:50:57
Lists: pgsql-general

I've been asked to stand up a dedicated database server for a new
office. They're only requirement is the server run RHEL 6.2 64-bit. I
told them no problem as I'm very familiar with Linux and installing /
configuring PostgreSQL. So after I've installed RHEL 6.2, I then
installed PostgreSQL and the only version available in the Red Hat Yum
repositories was 8.4.9. I called them and they told me that this is
why Red Hat is extremely popular due to stability. They don't support
bleeding edge release packages. My question is how exactly would I
install the latest version of PostgreSQL (9.1.2) on RHEL 6.2? Is there
an unsupported RPM for 9.1.2? How do you guys who manage Red Hat
servers install recent versions of PostgreSQL?

Thanks for any help!