Re: Postgresql 9.5 and Shell scripts/variables vs. C programming/defining a value to be used

From: Poul Kristensen <bcc5226(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql 9.5 and Shell scripts/variables vs. C programming/defining a value to be used
Date: 2016-11-23 20:31:19
Lists: pgsql-general

My goal is to grap a user from the OS and and substitute the grapped user -
to be the owner of the database - in the sql commands
e.g using shell-script substitution syntax:
create user ${user} with login;
create tablespace ${user} location '/path/${user)';
create database ${user} owner ${user} on tablespace ${user};
I would be surpriced if this should not be possible using gnu gcc but I
might be wrong. It is just a question of figurering out way to do this.
http://zetcode.com/db/postgresqlc/ has an example of how to do this using
integer as argument on
the commandline.
Do you have a hint of the substitution syntax to be used in gnu gcc.

Thanks.

/Poul

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards