Re: How and when are encoding DLLs used on Windows?

From: David Schnur <dnschnur(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How and when are encoding DLLs used on Windows?
Date: 2011-11-21 18:54:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> They're used for character set encoding conversions, eg when
> database_encoding = UTF8 and client_encoding = LATIN1 (or any other
> non-identical combination).

Thanks, Tom and Craig; that makes perfect sense. I'd rather not assume
anything about the client encoding, but I do know that the server encoding
will always be UTF8. Am I correct, then, in thinking that I only need the
conversion procs whose names start with utf8_and...?

(I wrote this response a few days ago, but realized that I forgot to
reply-all to the list)