Reaping Temp tables to avoid XID wraparound

From: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Reaping Temp tables to avoid XID wraparound
Date: 2019-02-13 00:04:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I hit an issue yesterday where I was quickly nearing XID wraparound on a
database due to a temp table being created in a session which was then left
IDLE out of transaction for 6 days.

I solved the issue by tracing the owner of the temp table back to a session
and terminating it - in my case I was just lucky that there was one session
for that user.

I'm looking for a way to identify the PID of the backend which owns a temp
table identified as being an issue so I can terminate it.

From the temp table namespace I can get the backend ID using a regex - but
I have no idea how I can map that to a PID - any thoughts?

Cheers,

James Sewell,

Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf, 26-32 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont NSW 2009
*P *(+61) 2 8099 9000 <(+61)%202%208099%209000> *W* www.jirotech.com *F *
(+61) 2 8099 9099 <(+61)%202%208099%209000>

--
The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this