Re: Wrong results from Parallel Hash Full Join

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wrong results from Parallel Hash Full Join
Date: 2023-04-12 14:57:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 7:36 AM Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I came across $subject and reduced the repro query as below.
>
> create table a (i int);
> create table b (i int);
> insert into a values (1);
> insert into b values (2);
> update b set i = 2;
>
> set min_parallel_table_scan_size to 0;
> set parallel_tuple_cost to 0;
> set parallel_setup_cost to 0;
>
> # explain (costs off) select * from a full join b on a.i = b.i;
> QUERY PLAN
> Gather
> Workers Planned: 2
> -> Parallel Hash Full Join
> Hash Cond: (a.i = b.i)
> -> Parallel Seq Scan on a
> -> Parallel Hash
> -> Parallel Seq Scan on b
> (7 rows)
>
> # select * from a full join b on a.i = b.i;
> i | i
> ---+---
> 1 |
> (1 row)
>
> Tuple (NULL, 2) is missing from the results.

Thanks so much for reporting this, Richard. This is a fantastic minimal
repro!

So, I looked into this, and it seems that, as you can imagine, the tuple
in b is hot updated, resulting in a heap only tuple.

t_ctid | raw_flags
--------+----------------------------------------------------------------------
(0,2) | {HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED,HEAP_XMAX_COMMITTED,HEAP_HOT_UPDATED}
(0,2) | {HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED,HEAP_XMAX_INVALID,HEAP_UPDATED,HEAP_ONLY_TUPLE}

In ExecParallelScanHashTableForUnmatched() we don't emit the
NULL-extended tuple because HeapTupleHeaderHasMatch() is true for our
desired tuple.

while (hashTuple != NULL)
{
if (!HeapTupleHeaderHasMatch(HJTUPLE_MINTUPLE(hashTuple)))
{

HeapTupleHeaderHasMatch() checks if HEAP_TUPLE_HAS_MATCH is set.

In htup_details.h, you will see that HEAP_TUPLE_HAS_MATCH is defined as
HEAP_ONLY_TUPLE
/*
* HEAP_TUPLE_HAS_MATCH is a temporary flag used during hash joins. It is
* only used in tuples that are in the hash table, and those don't need
* any visibility information, so we can overlay it on a visibility flag
* instead of using up a dedicated bit.
*/
#define HEAP_TUPLE_HAS_MATCH HEAP_ONLY_TUPLE /* tuple has a join match */

If you redefine HEAP_TUPLE_HAS_MATCH as something that isn't already
used, say 0x1800, the query returns correct results.

QUERY PLAN
Gather
Workers Planned: 2
-> Parallel Hash Full Join
Hash Cond: (a.i = b.i)
-> Parallel Seq Scan on a
-> Parallel Hash
-> Parallel Seq Scan on b
(7 rows)

i | i
---+---
1 |
| 2
(2 rows)

The question is, why does this only happen for a parallel full hash join?

unpa
postgres=# explain (costs off) select * from a full join b on a.i = b.i;
QUERY PLAN
---------------------------
Hash Full Join
Hash Cond: (a.i = b.i)
-> Seq Scan on a
-> Hash
-> Seq Scan on b
(5 rows)

postgres=# select * from a full join b on a.i = b.i;
i | i
---+---
1 |
| 2
(2 rows)

I imagine it has something to do with what tuples are put in the
parallel hashtable. I am about to investigate that but just wanted to
share what I had so far.

- Melanie