Re: vacuum and autovacuum - is it good to configure the threshold at TABLE LEVEL?

From: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Muthiah Rajan <vgmonnet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum and autovacuum - is it good to configure the threshold at TABLE LEVEL?
Date: 2018-11-28 05:03:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 9:11 AM rajan <vgmonnet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks, amul. I have already gone through this. What I would like to
> understand is the performance impact on autovacuum launcher and worker
> process when autovacuum is running from configurations done by
> *ALTER TABLE autvac_test SET (autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0,
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 100);*
> at table level.

An answer could be yes or no, something work for me that not necessarily work
for you.

The aforesaid configuration will trigger vacuum at every 150 row update/delete.
It depends on your server load, how frequent 150 row count reaches. Also,
triggering vacuum too frequently is also not that much beneficial, IMO.

Regards,
Amul