Re: UPDATE of partition key

From: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE of partition key
Date: 2017-09-08 11:21:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >> I think we can do this even without using an additional infomask bit.
> >> As suggested by Greg up thread, we can set InvalidBlockId in ctid to
> >> indicate such an update.
> >
> > Hmm. How would that work?
> >

> We can pass a flag say row_moved (or require_row_movement) to
> heap_delete which will in turn set InvalidBlockId in ctid instead of
> setting it to self. Then the ExecUpdate needs to check for the same
> and return an error when heap_update is not successful (result !=
> HeapTupleMayBeUpdated). Can you explain what difficulty are you
> envisioning?

Attaching WIP patch incorporates the above logic, although I am yet to check
all the code for places which might be using ip_blkid. I have got a small
query here,
do we need an error on HeapTupleSelfUpdated case as well?

Note that patch should be applied to the top of Amit Khandekar's latest
patch(v17_rebased).

Regards,
Amul

Attachment Content-Type Size
0002-invalidate-ctid.ip_blkid-WIP.patch application/octet-stream 7.4 KB