Re: [POC] hash partitioning

From: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [POC] hash partitioning
Date: 2017-03-01 05:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now we have a declarative partitioning, but hash partitioning is not
> implemented yet. Attached is a POC patch to add the hash partitioning
> feature. I know we will need more discussions about the syntax and other
> specifications before going ahead the project, but I think this runnable
> code might help to discuss what and how we implement this.

Great.

> * Description
>
> In this patch, the hash partitioning implementation is basically based
> on the list partitioning mechanism. However, partition bounds cannot be
> specified explicitly, but this is used internally as hash partition
> index, which is calculated when a partition is created or attached.
>
> The tentative syntax to create a partitioned table is as bellow;
>
> CREATE TABLE h (i int) PARTITION BY HASH(i) PARTITIONS 3 USING hashint4;
>
> The number of partitions is specified by PARTITIONS, which is currently
> constant and cannot be changed, but I think this is needed to be changed
in
> some manner. A hash function is specified by USING. Maybe, specifying hash
> function may be ommitted, and in this case, a default hash function
> corresponding to key type will be used.
>
> A partition table can be create as bellow;
>
> CREATE TABLE h1 PARTITION OF h;
> CREATE TABLE h2 PARTITION OF h;
> CREATE TABLE h3 PARTITION OF h;
>
> FOR VALUES clause cannot be used, and the partition bound is
> calclulated automatically as partition index of single integer value.
>
> When trying create partitions more than the number specified
> by PARTITIONS, it gets an error.
>
> postgres=# create table h4 partition of h;
> ERROR: cannot create hash partition more than 3 for h
>
> An inserted record is stored in a partition whose index equals
> abs(hashfunc(key)) % <number_of_partitions>. In the above
> example, this is abs(hashint4(i))%3.
>
> postgres=# insert into h (select generate_series(0,20));
> INSERT 0 21
>
> postgres=# select *,tableoid::regclass from h;
> i | tableoid
> ----+----------
> 0 | h1
> 1 | h1
> 2 | h1
> 4 | h1
> 8 | h1
> 10 | h1
> 11 | h1
> 14 | h1
> 15 | h1
> 17 | h1
> 20 | h1
> 5 | h2
> 12 | h2
> 13 | h2
> 16 | h2
> 19 | h2
> 3 | h3
> 6 | h3
> 7 | h3
> 9 | h3
> 18 | h3
> (21 rows)
>
> * Todo / discussions
>
> In this patch, we cannot change the number of partitions specified
> by PARTITIONS. I we can change this, the partitioning rule
> (<partition index> = abs(hashfunc(key)) % <number_of_partitions>)
> is also changed and then we need reallocatiing records between
> partitions.
>
> In this patch, user can specify a hash function USING. However,
> we migth need default hash functions which are useful and
> [...]
​IMHO, we should try to keep create partition syntax simple and aligned
with other partition strategy. For e.g:
CREATE TABLE h (i int) PARTITION BY HASH(i);

I Agree that it is unavoidable partitions number in modulo hashing,
but we can do in other hashing technique. Have you had thought about
Linear hashing[1] or Consistent hashing​[2]?​ This will allow us to
add/drop
partition with minimal row moment. ​

​+1 for the default hash function corresponding to partitioning key type.​

Regards,
Amul

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_hashing
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consistent_hashing