Re: BUG #16582: Logical index corruption leading to apparent index scan infinite loop

From: James Lucas <jlucasdba(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: BUG #16582: Logical index corruption leading to apparent index scan infinite loop
Date: 2020-08-17 15:51:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Peter,

I re-ran with DEBUG2 messages enabled. Got a bunch of output, but the
last few lines are like this for each index:

DEBUG: level 965868789 leftmost page of index "xxxxx" was found
deleted or half dead
DETAIL: Deleted page found when building scankey from right sibling.
DEBUG: level 966240004 leftmost page of index "xxxxx" was found
deleted or half dead
DETAIL: Deleted page found when building scankey from right sibling.
ERROR: cross page item order invariant violated for index "xxxxx"
DETAIL: Last item on page tid=(xx,xx) page lsn=xxxxxxxxxx

DEBUG: level 967745369 leftmost page of index "xxxxx" was found
deleted or half dead
DETAIL: Deleted page found when building scankey from right sibling.
DEBUG: level 967746918 leftmost page of index "xxxxx" was found
deleted or half dead
DETAIL: Deleted page found when building scankey from right sibling.
ERROR: cross page item order invariant violated for index "xxxxx"
DETAIL: Last item on page tid=(xx,xx) page lsn=xxxxxxxxxx

Not sure if pageinspect might be able to tell anything else useful?
I'd like to find the root cause of the corruption if possible, so this
doesn't happen in other databases.

Also wanted to see if it might be a good idea to add a
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS call to _bt_moveright() so if this does happen
again, at least the session would be killable. I don't have enough
background in the code to know where it's safe to add, or I'd submit a
patch.

Thanks,
James