Re: Supported Windows version for the Windows installer

From: "Rader, David" <davidr(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supported Windows version for the Windows installer
Date: 2017-07-19 13:38:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
wrote:

>> Finally, this moves the platform table to the bottom of the page, where
>> it logically makes sense to compare between available platforms and avoid
>> the side effect of making only a single distribution visible on shorter
>> browser windows.
>>

> Agreed.
>

>> Please review and let me know if you have any objections?
>>

> This part looks good, but I'm not entirely sure how we want to do it for
> the Linux pages, and we should be consistent. It'd have to be made clear
> that that table was only for the installer builds, and not for the
> recommended apt/yum repos for example.
>
> Suggestions for that?

Yeah, those pages are more difficult, even right now, since the "h3" on
supported platforms is not that different than the h2's it is not clear at
first glance that the current table only applies to one out of the 4-5
distributions listed. I suggest following the approach used in the
PostgreSQL Apt Repository section (on
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/ ) and use a paragraph
that lists the supported platforms:

The PostgreSQL apt repository supports LTS versions of Ubuntu (14.04 and
16.04) on amd64, i386 and ppc64el architectures as well as select non-LTS
versions(17.04). While not fully supported, the packages often work on
other non-LTS versions as well, by using the closest LTS version available.