Re: set autovacuum=off

From: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: set autovacuum=off
Date: 2012-02-23 17:58:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hm. Okay, so just to be perfectly clear, my database with all its INSERTs,
but no DELETEs or UPDATEs should not be VACUUMing anyway, so disabling
auto-vacuum is redundant (and possibly hazardous).

FWIW, I did notice a speed increase after disabling auto-vacuum on several
of my tables though that could have been a coincidence. Is there any way
that these tables could have been getting vacuumed (or some thing else)
despite the fact that they are not receiving updates or deletes? Or must
that have been a coincidence?

While we're on the subject, I welcome any pointers with regard to tuning a
database that is being used in this way. Any cache sizes I should be
messing with? Etc.

Thank you,
-Alessandro