Re: Two questions about "pg_constraint"

From: Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane PostgreSQL <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Two questions about "pg_constraint"
Date: 2022-08-27 17:57:55
Lists: pgsql-general

That's the answer I was seeking. So it's case closed for both of my « Two questions about "pg_constraint" ». Thanks, Tom. And thanks to the others who've contributed to this thread.

tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us wrote:

> bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com writes:
>
> My other question was about the "connamespace" column. It seemed to me, both at first and still now, that this is a clear instance of a transitive dependency.

I think a more productive way to think about it is that it's denormalization for efficiency; specifically to let constraints be looked up by name+namespace without having to get other catalogs involved. (SET CONSTRAINTS is one thing that requires that, and I think there are others.)